Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Tribute to Moms Tag Swap

This tag was created in memory of my Grandmother who meant the world
to me.  I have so many wonderful memories of her. 
Some of the earliest are of her teaching me to crochet, I was about 4 or 5 at the time. 
First it was a simple chain with a single crochet done in a circle we made hot pads with it.  Then we made granny squares and turned them into a blankets.  And from there we moved on to Barbie Doll clothes.  My Barbie's had the best wardrobe in the neighborhood.
  My grandmother never used a pattern she would look at something very closely and magically
she could copy it. I watched her for hours as she would make us things, sweaters, hats, gloves.
Another one of my grandmothers talents was sewing, she could sew anything...
At the young age of 6 my grandmother bought me my first sewing machine it was a White
(brand name) Sewing Machine she bought it used but it was the best ever...lol... I learned to
sew Barbie doll clothes on it.  She would buy this material for me that had the pattern pieces
printed on it you cut it out and sewed them together.  She used to tell me if I could sew Barbie clothes
I could sew anything and she was right. 
My gram is my inspiration, she is always with me know matter what I do...words of wisdom
she left me with ...IF YOU CAN'T DO IT RIGHT THEN DON'T DO IT AT ALL
meaning if I am creating something and know I've made a mistake fix it, you might
not know I did, but I know I did and it will bug me until I do.


                        

I used 3 of the dresser tags for this project, both Jeanne and Suzie doll stamps.  First I stamped
both dolls with black Stazon Ink onto the lightest paper from the Julie Nutting Buff Paper Pad.
I then stamped the dress onto my patterned paper (not sure of paper name) and cut it out. With
a coordinating marker I colored the inserts of her skirt and her bolero jacket and the hat on Suzie
head. Colored her shoes and belt with a black marker. I fussy cut both dolls out, I carefully cut
Suzie head off at the chin and glued it on Jeanne trimming so her head didn't show. Colored her
hair added some bling and she was done.

For the cabinet I cut slits down the front and across the top and bottom of the doors so they would
open. I cut another tag as a backing and covered it with a print paper for the inside of the cabinet.
I took a 3rd tag and cut the doors and drawers and layered them onto the original tag to give it some depth. I went through my stash of things to fill the cabinet keeping in mind things my grandmother would have.  Glued everything in place and I was done.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment